Friday, October 1, 2010

After School Snack Flashback

Oh my - I am enjoying myself so much right now that I just had to blog about it. Weird. Anyway, When I was growing up, every day I would come home from school and head straight for the kitchen. After school snack was pretty much a highlight of the day for me - every day. I am, and always will be, a snacker. Jesse has even given me a nick-name- "Snacker McMacker" - Embarrassing that I just shared that with all of you. It does sound a little off when you put it in writing. ANYHOW, The After School Snack Food Flashback of the day is: Graham Cracker- Chocolate Frosting Sandwiches dipped in Milk. My mom used to make these for us all the time as kids. (Of course she would make the frosting - being the awesome home-maker that she was. But it is a new era, and when you can buy it for a buck, why make it?) This just hit the spot for me tonight. MMM mmmm MMMM! The graham cracker and chocolate frosting are great together, but the real kicker is the milk. When you dip it, it softens it just enough. (Kind of like when you're eating cereal. It's never good the first couple of bites because it's a little too crunchy, but then it's amazing once the milk softens it just a smidge - but you must eat quickly before it goes soggy. There is a small window of opportunity to enjoy a perfect bowl of cereal.) Well, the Graham Cracker Chocolate Frosting Sandwich is the same way.
If you need a little snack, give this little number a try. You won't be disappointed!
I think this calls for a little reminiscing... What was your favorite after school snack? I expect to see a few blogs about it!
Yes, I totally staged this photo. I eat them too fast to have them set out on a nice plate like this! Who am I kidding?

7 comments:

Lamb Fam said...

I totally thought this would have been about microwave popcorn.
But I DO remember these little numbers. They WERE yummy.
And it's true, you are a snacker McMacker. Just the phrase "after school snack" reminds me of you.
We can't forget:
grilled cheese (in that 'made for over-the-fire' thing that we'd hold over the stove burner) or
Rocky Mountain Ranger cookie dough
always served with DC in a little cup. LOVED those little cups :)

Amelia said...

I love this snack! My dad still makes them and they are without a doubt delicious. It is hard to find graham crackers over in Scotland so we have to use something different, but I am never disappointed.

Alicia said...

I just threw out about 4 containers of homemade frosting that I had saved "because I'll use it on crackers". You have inspired me again.
Love it.

Heidi Hamilton said...

Ahhh - I am a fan as well. I have been known to eat 1 or 2 entire packages (the plastic wrapped ones)of graham crackers w/ frosting. Love 'em! Sure wish they'd come out with SOME kind of reduced fat frosting, though. Maybe then I wouldn't feel guilty after eating so much.

Chris and Heather said...

I love these too, and still to this day make them. Here is a little healpful hint... put them in a zip lock bag then eat them the next day. They are really moist and truly delicious!!! Yumm yumm!

wurstens5 said...

I to remember my mom making these all of the time. A very good snack indeed!

Scarlett said...

I love it! Brad introduced me to this little concoction(sp?). I didn't realize you were such a snacker. Snack is my middle name. We should form a club.