Tuesday, June 23, 2009

I'm Back - For Now...


So let's just say it was a rough week last week. It was horrible. Collin got hit with the SWINE FLU. It's a nasty flu, to say the least. Poor little guy was down for a good week. But I will say this: Everyone is totally freaking out over it. I don't want to say people are over reacting, because it is a miserable flu. But, my experience with it was just that: A horrible flu. It went away and we didn't die. So rest assured, if you get it, you have a 99.9% survival rate. Now back to my sick story...

Ty had a fever just a few days after Collin came down with the Swine (a tall tell sign of it), so I RAN to the doctors office and BEGGED (yes, I even turned on the tears - not that it was hard...my life was in sick shambles...read on...) for the Tamiflu drug for Ty. My awesome doctor agreed and I walked away with the Rx. The liquid Tamiflu was not easy to find, by the way. I had to call 10 different pharmacies before I found it. But I got it and it truly was the miracle drug. It nipped the virus in Ty right away. He never really got sick. I was soooo grateful to only have one sick child because, I too, was dwindling quickly.

Everyone just kept telling me that I probably had the Swine Flu too, but I knew it was something different. I called my OB and after some testing they found that I had a bladder infection. I knew it was something else! I was sooo sick. Well, they put me on Tamiflu and an antibiotic to heal me. I wasn't healed. I was getting sicker! By Thursday, I called my OB crying and told them how sick I was. They sent me to the ER. After more tests, they discovered my bladder infection had turned into a full blown kidney infection that required IV antibiotics! I was bummed about having to have an IV in my arm, but relieved to know that I was going to feel better soon. It took 4 days of being on the IV, but I must say, I'm finally feeling much better. I'm having some other issues, like I think I'm having some Gall Bladder issues, so anyone who has dealt with that, please call me so that I can discuss my symptoms with you. LOL!

So, anyway, in case you were wondering why I had not emerged from my house for over a week, other than to go to the pharmacy, the doctors office, or the hospital, now you know. Hopefully I will continue to get better. I was supposed to go to Girls Camp this week, and my doctor's nurse started to laugh at me when I asked if I could still go. She told me I "was crazy, and that it wasn't sanitary up there in all the dirt when you're recovering from any kind of urinary infection." I joked that my bathroom (up until today) was probably not much better. That's what happens when your sick - messy house. Anyway, this post is just for posterity's sake. Sorry to bore you with our family sick drama. We really are doing better.

11 comments:

wurstens5 said...

Hope you are feeling better. That is no fun at all. I'm glad your cute boys are feeling better as well.

Amelia said...

Wow! What a rough couple of weeks!
I hope that life continues to improve. Feel better soon!

Pearson Family said...

kristin, i totally had to get my gall bladder removed after my last pregnancy. they say it is very common with pregnancies. i was getting a tight feeling in my chest...between my boobs where i felt like couldn't breathe. it would feel like a panic attack. also my stomach felt so sick like i had to throw up. i ended up having over 35 stones...but luckily non of them got into the duct. good luck with everything...so sad.

Heidi Hamilton said...

I'm so, so sorry Kristen! Being pregnant, sick and your kids sick - not fair! I hope you all are feeling tip-top super soon!

Chris and Heather said...

Im so sorry to hear that you were sick, but happy to hear that you are all doing better! :)

Scarlett said...

Kristen, I am also so relieved you are doing better. We were so worried about you. I hope you don't continue to have problems. You deserve a break! Let me know if I can do anything for ya! Love ya!

Unknown said...

Holy Smokes! I'm so sorry to hear of your sickness. Really, I should have brought you dinner. BTW, way to turn on the tears for Dr. J.

Adria said...

Wow! My mom was telling me about all you're drama. I'm so sorry. You sure know how get sympathy points with all your illnesses. Wish I could've have been there to help. Glad things are a bit better. I'll be there in a few weeks. Can't wait to see you. I need a serious hair make over, plus a Kristen fix. Any chance we can have a chick flick night?

kristi said...

Kristin, I have never had gallbladder problems but I can tell you what symptoms people usually have when we think of it at work. this is cole by the way. Kristi is not in that line of work.
Right upper abdominal pain, pain may come and go in a pulsating nature, is worse after eating, may feel the pain in your back or right shoulder, nausea and vomiting. realize of course that this is the typical presentation, but not everyone is typical.

Jen said...

Yowsers!! So sorry for the craziness you experienced last week! Glad everyone is starting to feel better -- and that you're still alive!

Lena Baron said...

Kristen! I don't think I have been to your blog before! I found you on Heidi's blog. Anyway, good to see you! BUT, WOW! I hope you all get feeling 100% soon! Congrats on baby number 3! Keep in touch. You'll be in my thoughts!

Lena (Hunt):)