Saturday, June 13, 2009

The Bully, The Martyr, and the Mother Failure.

I'm finally getting a taste of what it's like to have a naughty bully for a child. I have had several friends that have battled this with their children and I have honestly always felt bad for them. I have never judged my friends thinking they were bad parents. I simply was just grateful that my child was not the bully. Well, what goes around, comes around. Here's a quick example of my latest challenge...

Introducing my Bully:


And the Martyr:


So the Bully decides it's a good idea to bite the Martyr on the shoulder as hard as he can. The Martyr screams as loud as he can. I observe the enormous and deep bite on his shoulder and unleash my wrath on the Bully. I spat his mouth and his bum (lightly - I promise) and sent him to his room. (I know that this is not the proper way to handle this situation, but I was acting on emotion and had never dealt with this before.) So the Bully screams like I have just bit him on the shoulder as hard as I could and he continues to cry as I put him in his room. I return to the Martyr to comfort him as he is still crying.
I say, "Are you OK?"
And he says, "I'm sad because now Ty is sad."
Me: "I was just punishing him for hurting you."
Him: "Well, I'm OK mom. I just feel bad for Ty."
Me: "He'll be OK. He knows that I love him. He just needs to learn that it's not OK to bite."
The night passes and the drama ends. The next morning I walk into the room just as the Bully is opening his jaw ready to clamp down on the Martyr. I run over to break it up.
I then say to the Bully: "No No. You do not bite your brother." - No violence this time. Calm.
The Bully laughs at me and runs away - of course.
I turn to the Martyr and say "If your brother tries to bite you again you need to yell for me to come so that I can spat his mouth again."
The Martyr replies after a moment of silence and looking at the ground: "Well then I'm not going to tell you mom, because I don't want you to hurt him."
I GIVE UP! Clearly I'm supposed to learn a lesson here, not the kids. I guess I need to find another way to punish my little Bully so that Collin doesn't feel the need to be a Martyr and continue to protect this nonsense! Suggestions parents of Bully's??? It's especially interesting to me because my Bully is 2, my Martyr is 5, and the Mother Failure is...well old enough to know how to handle this situation, and yet doesn't.

5 comments:

wurstens5 said...

That is so cute of collin. Sorry I can't help you yet??

Heidi Hamilton said...

I LOVE reading about your kids. You are such a fantastic story teller. And your kids are so cute and funny.
We have somewhat of the same problem, although McKiney is not quite as compassionate with her sister and does not mind if I lose my temper with Ireland.
You are NOT a bad mom! I think all you can do is use time-outs, etc, and hope this is a short phase!

J.E. said...

Ty. . . That litle stink! How sweet is Collin though?

Trace said...

I have the solution. Everett is a bully too so I think we should get the two of them together to teach each other a lesson. :) It is so sweet Collin feels bad. Tracy just tattles. The joys of boys Kris.

Scarlett said...

Oh that Collin! He has such a big heart! And that Ty. He is just so dang cute! I think you are stuck between a rock and a hard place. You want to teach your child not to hurt others, and yet your other child that is getting hurt is not wanting to see the one who is causing the hurt, hurt. Does that make sense? Sorry if it doesn't. I'm tired and need to go to bed. Anyway, good luck with that.

I hope you are feeling better. This baby better dang well be a girl with all the trouble it's caused you!