Tuesday, January 27, 2009

The Little Boy Who Cried Wolf


Have you ever had a child that was seriously ill? You know the kind where they lay around on the floor and won't move because they are so sick? Temperature hovering around 102*? This goes on for a couple of days and finally you decide that maybe it's not just a cold. Ya, that's my little Ty. So, then you rush him to the Doctor and on the way he suddenly perks up a bit, and by the time you enter into the doctor's office and spot the fish tank, his temperature has dropped completely back to normal? And then by the time the nurse calls you back to the room, and the Doc enters the room your child is running around the room like it's a playground? "I swear, he was deathly ill an hour ago!" Ever happen to you? Well, it happened to me THREE times this weekend! So, after a "hyper" doctor visit on Friday, a phone call to the on-call doctor on Saturday, another "hyper" Instacare visit and X-Ray on Sunday (which I was in full tears exclaiming "He's sick, I promise!"); and finally, another "energetic" visit to the doctor on Monday. Side note: In between each of these visits Ty would go home and be sicker than a dog. I finally convinced my doctor that my child was ill; with the help of a low-grade fever and some x-rays that finally declared that my child had viral pneumonia and a double ear infection. But this was not before my doctor diagnosed my little Ty with an "Amazing left-handed curve ball" because Ty was more interested in playing ball with his doctor than laying down so that Doc could check out his ears. Our great pediatrician finally handed me a Rx for some antibiotics and probably wanted to say, but didn't, "Now get out!" - as Ty cries out "Wolf, Wolf!" and I repeat after him, making me look dumb. What a weekend! Has this ever happened to any of you? You now have my sympathy. I believe you if you tell me your child is sick.

7 comments:

Lindell said...

Oh that is so cute. I'm sorry to laugh at your (and ty's pain). What a funny kid! What a FUNNY mom :) I'm glad you got the diagnosis and I hope he starts feeling better soon!

Gigi isn't really in to crying wolf, she has the opposite prob: milking it!

Heidi Hamilton said...

Sorry - can't help but laugh. YES - I think we've all had that happen. I S-W-E-A-R that the thermometers at my Dr's office are all broken. They NEVER show a temperature - even when it reads like 103 at my house.
Sorry about all that trouble. Hope he gets better (permanately).

kristi and family said...

i hope ty is feeling better.... and YES, this happens ALL of the time.... i swear at least once a night when i work a mom tells me this same story.... little rascals!!!

Scarlett said...

Poor Ty! I hope he is doing better now!I can't believe he has pneumonia AND a double ear infection! So sad!

BerlyCrow said...

Just wait until he's old enough to talk. Twice in the last 2 months when I've taken Kaedyn to the doctor after she complains for three days straight, the doctor will ask her what hurts and she'll get a confused look on her face and say, "Nothing," and then act as though she has no idea why I brought her there in the first place while continuing to tell the doctor that absolutely nothing is wrong.

BerlyCrow said...

In other words, it doesn't get better as they get older, it just gets worse. You have my sympathy.

Trace said...

Tracy is hard because he is a total hypochondriac. When I was pregnant he would say " the baby is making me sick today" and "I think I am having contractions". If anyone talks about an injury or illness he suddenly acquires it.
Due to his drama we never know whether or not to believe him when he says he is sick. This summer we were eating dinner when he started to tell us he wasn't feeling well. My step mom said, "he does look very pale". We just shrugged it off and said "he always thinks he is sick" and went on with dinner. Well, a minute later Trace threw up ALL OVER the patio. I felt like the worst parent ever.
I still don't know whether or not he is sick sometimes, but I would rather error on the side that doesn't leave vomit for me to clean up.