Saturday, July 19, 2008

Summer Memories Part 2

Sorry, I warned you all that this was a possibility. A few more memories have come to me. I have loved everyone's feedback. Yes, it's true, I was a girl that was always looking to fall in love. Wasn't everyone always looking for love in the summertime? Jami Suggested that I should have named my summer memories post "Summer Love". I felt I needed to add these additional memories because this blog is somewhat of a journal/scrapbook for me (for all to read), and then we'll be done with this for now - regardless of whether or not I come up with any more. Maybe we'll have to do a fall and winter memories post as well...we'll see.

  • Hawaii was where I went with all of my friends for our Senior Trip in June 1997! We had so much fun. We learned the hula (which I got the "hula award" for on the trip - not because I was good at it, but more because I was awkward and funny to watch while I was doing it.) We also went para sailing over the ocean, which was honestly one of the coolest things I have ever done! One of the highlights was when all of us were in the boat watching Kriste up above us para sailing and peeing 40 feet in the air into the ocean because she was freaking out! We also went on a cruise one night which is now known to all of us as the "booze cruise". None of us drank any alcohol, but we sure had a great time dancing among all the drunks as the ship went out into the ocean rocking back and forth, and the drunks were all falling all over the place. They were actually lucky we were all there! They needed some sober folks on board that night! Also in Hawaii, one day when we were laying out on floaties in the ocean (and frying our skin off -particularly Valerie), a large sea turtle swam underneath us. Amber & I decided it would be a good idea to try to "surf" on the turtle's back. Fortunately, we didn't get our feet snapped off. Another quick memory of Hawaii, was at Hanama Bay when we went to go snorkeling. We all bought bags of fish food to attract fish, like the good tour guides suggested we do. As we went into the water (about 2 feet deep I might add), suddenly swarms of silver fish started attacking us wanting our bags of fish food. These fish were not afraid of humans! They were literally jumping out of the water and biting at us to get the bags of food. As you can imagine, 20 girls screaming at the top of their lungs, throwing their bags of food at the fish and running out of the water! It took us a few minutes to talk each other back into going into the water to snorkel! We finally did and had more adventures with getting caught in the current and getting cut all over our bodies on the coral! Needless to say, snorkeling was not my favorite thing! I think back on some of the things I've done in my life and wonder how me and my friends are alive today...which brings me to my next memory...
  • Train Tracks! I'm still to this day terrified by this memory. Two days before graduating from High School (so yes, we were technically adults, but not very smart ones...) someone had the idea that all of us friends should go to some train tracks and wait for a train. I can assure you that it was not my idea. But, of course I went along, I'm like a sheep baaa, baaa! There was an overpass that the train went over and we were all told to line up along the walls of the overpass and have the train pass by us face to face for the ultimate adrenaline rush. The train was coming and we were all about 2 feet from the train tracks that the train was about to pass us on, with our bums resting on a cement wall. The train approached us, honking the horn non-stop - I can only imagine what that train conductor was thinking. I remember thinking that we were going to be the tragedy on the news that night. "Teenagers die two days before graduating high school." The train passed right by us going extremely fast, and I just remember screaming at the top of my lungs and feeling my hair whip all over the place. It lasted a good couple of minutes and then the train was gone. We all looked at each other amazed and then cheered and screamed that we had accomplished this difficult task. Obviously we lived through it, and it truly was an unbelievable adrenaline rush - But I will never get over the fear that was instilled in me that night! Stupidity at it's finest!
  • The Redwood Drive-In was the place to be on a hot summer night! I went there so many times over the years. I'm ashamed to admit it now, but I was guilty of sneaking in a time or two! We would round up a couple of trucks and fill them with tons of blankets, then a few of us would hide under the blankets and hold extremely still until we got through the pay gate. The best part about the drive-in was rarely the movies. It was watching all the people who came to the drive-in. And yes, if you were lucky that summer, you would have a summer crush to share a kiss with at the drive-in as well. Last summer Jesse and I went to the drive-in and Jesse knew the police officer doing security there and he told us we could go in without paying. Jesse is the most honest person I know, and he insisted on paying to get in! I thought that it was a funny change of events. I felt somehow that all those years that I had cheated the drive-in had just been made up for by my husbands honesty.
  • Bungee Jumping was something I always wanted to do as a kid. I think it had something to do with the fact that I'm terrified of heights, and I felt it was a fear that I needed to conquer in my life. And so it was, when I was 13 years old, I saved up all my money that summer to go bungee jumping at the tower that was conveniently set up in the Raging Waters parking lot! My parents were less than thrilled as they signed my life away on the release forms, but they were great, and always allowed me to reach for the stars - literally. I was a nervous wreck up on the jumping deck as I looked down below, but as I jumped, I felt like I was free as a bird! It was so much fun! I have no desire to ever do it again, but I'm glad that I did it when I was 13. I still hate heights!

    What are some of your summer memories? I would love to read some of your summer stories!

7 comments:

Amber Burt said...

We did have some great times, didn't we?? I can't believe we were dumb enough to do that train track thing, it was really scary.

The car accident was scary, and something that I will always remember as well. I love you too, and am so grateful for the friendship that we have. We definitely don't see each other as much as we should!

kristi and family said...

kristen... you totally forgot to mention about the DRIVE IN when you would sneak in about Devin's truck and camper.... we would sneak you and casey in... now i just laugh... the camper?? SWEET!!!

Trace said...

I hope our kids are a lot smarter than us. The train track thing was definitely one of the stupidest things I have ever done. Hawaii was awesome though.

Brandt & Kriste said...

O.K I am laughing my head off. First the Bonnie middle name story will forever live on. I still think of that night everytime I sleep in that bed in Bear Lake. Brandt has heard the story a million times and yes no one will ever find it as funny as us. Second, Are you sure that was me that peed? Did we need to share that with the world to see? Last of all I am glad that most of these stories I was a part of. We all had some great times together. I am blessed to have such fabulouse friends. I love you all!

Shelf said...

I am going to have to agree with Kristen, it was Kriste that peed but you forgot that her and Amber where together, so Amber got peed on! Great times...what about going to WJ and to Bingham High and changing the marquise's to read "Hawaii Forever" before we went on our trip!

Jaci said...

OHHHH summer memories. Oh how i hope that our kids live to be "smart" adults. I did some of the stupidist things, many that landed me in the ER and MANY that should have. I am truly scared for my boys and the summer memories that they will make.

Alicia said...

Hi Kristen
I am totally stalking your blog... and don't even know if you'll read this since it is older. Anyway, The train was one of the coolest things we ever did!